|Can't figure out the cause of your E.D.? Check out these 15 Natural Cures.|
|Combine supplements for max erectile strength? Go with This Approach.|
3. Erectile Supplements and Herbs. Most herbal and supplement impotence preparations do not have the ingredients listed. And, even if they do, can in some men induce priapism. One severe case involved a preparation called "All Nite Long" and the researchers reported that "a cavernoglanular shunt was then attempted with a large biopsy needle (Winter shunt) and subsequently with a scalpel (Ebbehoj shunt), without success."  Needles and scalpels - it hurts just to think about it!
Yohimbe (Yohimbine) is also common such preparations and can lead to priapism.  Why is that? One compounnd in yohimbine is an alpha adrenergic antagonist. One poster on our forum also mentioned another "formula" that resulted in the same. Did it also have yohimbine in it? Who knows?
Of course, the tragedy is that many men are taking these concoctions in the hopes of helping their sex lives only to find that they have potentially damaged themselves permanently.
4. Alpha Blockers. Did you know that there are a whole class of drugs that are, by definition, alpha adrenoceptor antagonists? And, yes, these can cause priapism. Again, middle-aged and senior men are particularly vulnerable, because these are commonly prescribed for BPH (enlarged prostate). One nasty case of this is mentioned in the literature, where a man's priapism persisted even after shunt surgery on his penis.  Prazosin has also been linked to the same issue. 
5. Cocaine and Prescription Narcotics. Cocaine is notorious for priapism and, again, the reason is related: it depletes the body of noradrenaline. As noradrenaline (norepinephrine) levels fall, eventually the body loses its ability to shut off an erection in many cases.
This can happen with prescription narcotics (vicodin, percoset, oxycodone, etc.) as well. One strange story out of the U.K. in late 2011 tells of a man who, due to a medical condition, supposedly experiened painful long-lasting erections and then robbed his own father at knife point to get money to buy pain killers.  We ask the question, "Could he not have been first addicted to pain killers which then led to his priapism?"
6. Pomegranate Juice and Viagra. There have been several case reports of priapism resulting from this combination. Pomegranate juice is not only a potent stimulator of nitric oxide but can alter liver function. Those taking any PDE5 inhibitor (Cialis, Levitra, Stendra, etc.) should also use caution. 
CAUTION: If you have a medical condition or are on any medications, please discuss any changes with your doctor first. Certain supplements, foods and even juices can alter absorption rates of certain medications for example. Play it safe.
2) Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 2009 Feb, 33(2):255-63, "A pilot trial of the alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist, prazosin, for alcohol dependence"
3) http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/549253_6, "Counseling Patients About Sexual Issues: Drug-Induced Priapism"
4) J Clin Psychiatry, 2010, 12(2), "Penile Amputation After Trazodone-Induced Priapism: A Case Report"
6) International Journal of Impotence Research, 2005, 17:469–470, "Priapism caused by 'All Nite Long'"
7) Eur Urol, 1986, 12(3):169-70, "Intracavernous injection of noradrenaline to interrupt erections during surgical interventions"
8) JOURNAL OF MEDICAL TOXICOLOGY, 5(4):223-225, "Refractory priapism associated with ingestion of yohimbe extract"
9) International Journal of Impotence Research, 2005, 17:293–294, "Unresolved priapism secondary to tamsulosin"
10) Br Med J, 1979 October 27, 2(6197):1039, "Prazosin and priapism"
|WHAT LOW T DOES:|