Author Topic: testosterone cypionate expiration date  (Read 4249 times)

raym

• View Profile
testosterone cypionate expiration date
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:36:00 am »
Hi,

I just noticed that my bottle of test has an expiration date of about a month ago.  I got it back in June from the compounding pharmacy, and have been using it every since.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to run out by now or whether the compounded test really has such a short shelf life.  It's been stored in an opaque container out of sun the whole time. 

I was sent my next batch about 3 weeks ago, but haven't started using it since I had so much of my first batch left.

Thanks,

Ray
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:40:10 am by PeakT »

Ken

• View Profile
Re: testosterone cyp expiration date
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:43:42 am »
Ray,

I'm not sure about how compounding places do things.  Is there a reason why you are getting it from a compounder? Is there something else in the mix that requires compounding? Is it a different dosage level, other than 200mg/ml?

I can tell you that pure Tcyp if kept at room temp and out of sunlight can last many months if not a year.

However, with what happened at that New England compounding place a few months back I would be a bit nervous about using one.  They are not terribly regulated or controlled.

Beyond all that though I suspect they just slapped a short expiration date on there to sell more product.
Wt: 210lb
Ht: 6'1"
BF% 12.5

Peak Testosterone Forum

Re: testosterone cyp expiration date
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:43:42 am »

Life Extension's Prelox (Pycnogenol + Low Dose Arginine): Life Extension - Prelox - 60 Tabs (Pack of 2)

raym

• View Profile
Re: testosterone cypionate expiration date
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 09:59:11 am »
No - this is pretty much bone stock 200mg/ml Testosterone Cypionate.  I'm going through lowtestosterone.com, and they have all the meds sent from a compounding pharmacy of their choice.  The testosterone and the HCG are both compounded, and the Arimidex is not.

I know the HCG has a pretty short shelf life once reconstituted, and I have to keep it in the fridge as well, but I was not sure if the Testosterone had a similar issue.  Ah well, I'm pretty much at the bottom of the vial, so maybe I'll just chuck the last 1/2 ML or so that is left in the vial and crack open a new one.

The new stuff is also compounded, but has added zinc and is a much smaller vial. 

Thanks,

Ray

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:15:20 am »
Most shelf lifes are set based on a purely arbitrary standard, i.e. 3 months from manufacture, 2) a shelf-life study that shows actually measures how concentration changes in the stored drug over time, or 3) the earliest shelf-life used in the mixture.

i.e. if the compounding pharmacy used an oil that had a half-life in 30days theoretically the half-life of the finished product should be that as well.

You could probably call them and find out how they set shelf life.  My guess is that properly stored the testosterone ester would remain stable for a long time.   The bigger issue might be if it was a multi-use vial you could get some evaporation changing the concentration slightly and/or causing some of the product to precipitate out and not redissolve easily.

7/6/12   - T Levels Total 154/ Free 4.5; PSA 1.7
Life Sucked!  Focused on losing weight and lifestyle changes.
1/31/13  - 292/5.4; C 5.0; SHBG 17.8
3/25/13  - 329/7.4; C 11.8, E2 23; PSA <0.5
Started TRT
7/5/13 - T Cyp - 100mg biweekly IM
7/26/13 Midpt - 228/5.4 - move to 100mg/wk
8/29/13 - Trough - 219/39.5; Cort 11.3
8/30/13 - Peak - >1500/>52; E2 101; PSA 1.8
 - Proved IM injections were cleared too quickly.   Low SHBG is often a clearance issue!
- Move to subQ 30mg EOD solved all issues except fatigue.  T levels consistently 500-600 E2 20-40
Dec-13 - Switched to Clomid 50mg 2x/wk.  finally settled on 12.5mg EOD
Jan-14 - Stopped Clomid - Clomid Sucks!
Went back 30mg EOD SubQ + Berberine 500mg 2X/day which finally cured fatigue issues.    SHBG in the 20-22 range and as expected as SHBG has increased T clearance has decreased.  T levels are now consistently in the 700-900 range with E2 in the 20-30 range.  BF 7-10%  Family Life Great, Work Great!  Mind/Body Great!!  You can do it to!

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:41:05 am »
Hi,

I just noticed that my bottle of test has an expiration date of about a month ago.  I got it back in June from the compounding pharmacy, and have been using it every since.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to run out by now or whether the compounded test really has such a short shelf life.  It's been stored in an opaque container out of sun the whole time. 

I was sent my next batch about 3 weeks ago, but haven't started using it since I had so much of my first batch left.

Thanks,

Ray

Of course, I always encourage you to go by the expiration date and here is why:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Cypionate_Shelf_Life.aspx

If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements. Yes, low T and E.D. are usually medical conditions.  There are potential risk with HRT:  http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks.aspx.
My Health History: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/My_Health_Story.aspx.
And check out my new Peak Testosterone Program on the right side of my home page: http://www.peaktestosterone.com.

raym

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »
D'oh.  Well, that answers that one!  Well past time to throw it out!

Ray

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:40:33 pm »
Most shelf lifes are set based on a purely arbitrary standard, i.e. 3 months from manufacture, 2) a shelf-life study that shows actually measures how concentration changes in the stored drug over time, or 3) the earliest shelf-life used in the mixture.

i.e. if the compounding pharmacy used an oil that had a half-life in 30days theoretically the half-life of the finished product should be that as well.

You could probably call them and find out how they set shelf life.  My guess is that properly stored the testosterone ester would remain stable for a long time.   The bigger issue might be if it was a multi-use vial you could get some evaporation changing the concentration slightly and/or causing some of the product to precipitate out and not redissolve easily.

The compounders, or so I have read, sometimes just set a shorter expiration date due to liability issues.  They are worried in multiuse cases that you may contaminate it, use it later and sue them for something that really isn't their fault.  So you can call and ask them why they set the date they did, but they may not give you the REAL reason and that's that their attorney told them to do it...
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements. Yes, low T and E.D. are usually medical conditions.  There are potential risk with HRT:  http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks.aspx.
My Health History: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/My_Health_Story.aspx.
And check out my new Peak Testosterone Program on the right side of my home page: http://www.peaktestosterone.com.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 02:21:35 pm »
I would call and find out if the compounder puts any preservative alcohol in their mix, like the Big Pharma manf. do. If you are getting a 10ml vial that lasts you a while, this could be a chronic problem of expiring often before using it up. Maybe they need to modify their formula or vial size.
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 02:21:35 pm »

Hate gyms? Hate jogging? Then just use the weight of your own body: You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:59:53 pm »
No - this is pretty much bone stock 200mg/ml Testosterone Cypionate.  I'm going through lowtestosterone.com, and they have all the meds sent from a compounding pharmacy of their choice.  The testosterone and the HCG are both compounded, and the Arimidex is not.

I know the HCG has a pretty short shelf life once reconstituted, and I have to keep it in the fridge as well, but I was not sure if the Testosterone had a similar issue.  Ah well, I'm pretty much at the bottom of the vial, so maybe I'll just chuck the last 1/2 ML or so that is left in the vial and crack open a new one.

The new stuff is also compounded, but has added zinc and is a much smaller vial. 

Thanks,

Ray

I'm an HCG guy...monotherapy. Thought I'd share something with you re: useful life of HCG since you mentioned it in your post. I found out from speaking to the pharmacist that although the HCG I'm using says that it's fine for 60 days in the fridge, actually the issue isn't so much the potency/effectiveness over time but rather the risk of bacteria growing in the vial. I realize that's the purpose of bacteriostatic water that's used to reconstitute the HCG powder. However, I suppose everything has its time limit. But I wouldn't worry so much about using HCG at the end of its timeframe and thinking it's not going to be effective.
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:59:53 pm »