Author Topic: Ageless Male (good or bad?)  (Read 9218 times)

Quincy

• View Profile
Ageless Male (good or bad?)
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:49:57 pm »
I recently ordered “Ageless Male” after my wife heard a radio commercial offering a free month trial supply. In an impulsive moment, I said what the heck if it is free. Well it wasn’t free… they charge you 6.99 in shipping costs and hook you into automatically reordering and charging your card $40 per month after 30 days unless you call to cancel ahead of time. Well I received my “free” bottle today but am now having second thoughts about taking it. Here are the listed ingredients.

1 soft gel of Ageless Male has :
                                                                   % daily value
Vitamin B 6 (pyridoxine HCL)  4.4 mg             247%
Magnesium (magnesium oxide)  16.88 mg        4%
Zinc (zinc oxide)  15 mg                             100%
Testofen (fenugreek extract)  300 mg   

Btw, I found out Ageless Male just changed up their entire formula about 2 weeks ago. Not a great confidence builder but probably explains the blitzkrieg of radio ads.

http://supplement-geek.com/ageless-male-review-resettin-testosterone-mytosterone-alpphastat/

So basically their claim to fame is fenugreek extract, the other stuff you either get in your diet or from a multi vitamin. Pretty expensive fenugreek $40 for a months supply.

So should I try it or is there some concerns I’m not aware of. I am doing 40.5mg of T with 1.62% Androgel and have an initial blood test scheduled in 3 weeks to see how effective the gels been.
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Ageless Male (good or bad?)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:50:10 pm »
Fenugreek has a lot of great properties and some guys on this board have even given positive comments about it.  However, I would be very cautious due to the fact it raises prolactin:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Fenugreek_Benefits.aspx

If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements. Yes, low T and E.D. are usually medical conditions.  There are potential risk with HRT:  http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks.aspx.
My Health History: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/My_Health_Story.aspx.
And check out my new Peak Testosterone Program on the right side of my home page: http://www.peaktestosterone.com.

naturopath

• View Profile
    • Erectile Dysfunction Help Information
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:58:48 am »
This makes my blood boil :(

In my opinion this supplement (if you call it that) has a zero chance of elevating tess levels.  The study they refer to on the site is seriously flawed for starters. I have been formulating high-grade supplements for over twenty years & based on this, the following is my view. 

% daily values are pitifully, pitifully low in the majority of cases.  For instance (in the U.K. the ECRDA (daily amount) for vitamin c is 90mg.  This is just enough to ward of scurvy! Further, the type of vitamin C is important.

Retailers trade on the ignorance of the buying public bolstered by ridiculous hype.  I have long-since given up hope that at least a modicum of honesty was shown by many health supplement companies.  We are, after all, dealing with the most precious of commodities - life & health.

The label for Ageless Male shows this:

% daily value
Vitamin B 6 (pyridoxine HCL)  4.4 mg        247%
Magnesium (magnesium oxide)  16.88 mg   4%
Zinc (zinc oxide)  15 mg                               100%
Testofen (fenugreek extract)  300 mg

4mg of B6 is almost pointless. because it shows 247% of the daily value, I guess it is supposed to look good.

16.88mg of Magnesium oxide, even worse.  Oxides have virtually no activity in the body.  Iron oxide is literally RUST.  You would be surprised how many companies use this, you may as well go lick rust of your fender!

15mg zinc oxide - I don't need to say it!

Fenugreek.  They say it is an extract - normally under the law you have to say that it is a 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 extract.  **Here, they may argue that it is extracted from fenugreek seeds so it is an 'extract'. So with a 10 to 1 extract you would acually get 3000mg of fenugreek.  If it is just 300mg of fenugreek it will have little effect within the body.

**I may be wrong on this I still have some vestigae of hope!

Depending on volume, I would guesstimate the cost of this product to produce is around $3.00 (including tub) particularly if it is in tablet form.  Tablets in the vast majority of the cases are the rock-bottom end of the market & contain more binders, fillers, excipients, flow agents & coatings than you can shake a stick at.

I was once asked by a major supermarket chain in the U.K. to formulate a multivitamin that cost no more than 40 cents for 30 tablets!  I told then to go forth & multiply!

Anyway, I think I have made my point ;D

Naturopathic Doctor (U.K.)
http://www.erectiledysfunctionhelpinformation.com/

Disclaimer:
Any information I may provide is not a substitute for an evaluation by a medical professional.  It is my opinion and does not constitute a course of action to be followed nor does it imply a diagnosis.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:28:20 am »
Anyway, I think I have made my point ;D

Yes and well said...
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements. Yes, low T and E.D. are usually medical conditions.  There are potential risk with HRT:  http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks.aspx.
My Health History: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/My_Health_Story.aspx.
And check out my new Peak Testosterone Program on the right side of my home page: http://www.peaktestosterone.com.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:45 am »
Yes, that was very informative. Ageless Male products is a real racket. I'm not sure how long it's been around but to totally scratch your previous formula of "success" with something entirely different almost overnight is a little revealing. I could understand some "modifications" to your underlying winning formula... but that was a little extreme. If I had to guess, it was due to costs. I would bet 2-1 the previous ingredients, and there were more of them, were more expensive.
56yo, Pre  T level 239

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:50:22 pm »
I've actually been a happy Ageless Male customer, prior to the formulation change which I just learned of with the receipt of my most recent shipment this week.  Now, my attitude has changed.

I began using the original formulation after having researched its primary ingredients, which were saw palmetto and astaxanthin blended in proportions that, it was claimed, were clinically proven to boost testosterone to normal ranges.  I wasn't sure if the product would work of course, but knew the ingredients to have other health benefits unrelated to testosterone-boosting that were relevant to other needs I have, so figured I couldn't lose. 

My subjective experience was that I did get more "zing in my engine" with Ageless Male's original ingredients.  It could have been the placebo effect, or could have actually been the effect of the product - but since I had been using other products offering the same blend of ingredients anyway (though in different potencies), I decided to continue. 

Now, I am disappointed, and have to contact the distributor (New Vitality) this week to return my latest shipment and discontinue future orders.  Three of the four ingredients in the new Ageless Male, in combination, reflect the ZMA formulation that is available from other providers for significantly less cost.  The fourth (fenugreek) has only been shown to have a positive effect on testosterone in one study, among young males; it's questionable whether this is enough evidence to say that the new Ageless Male is of benefit to those who may need it most, and even if so it is overpriced, IMHO.   

For other health-related issues, I still want to use saw palmetto and astanxanthin, and my budget won't hold the cost of those plus a relatively expensive testosternone formula of questionable benefit. 

I hate to be cynical, but I suspect Quincy may be right about the formula change being driven by cost.  Or, perhaps, New Vitality received some regulatory backlash regarding claims made about the original formula. 

Alas, not everyone in the health and fitness field seems to have the integrity of Naturopath who posted here earlier, and who I am glad we have with us.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:22 am »
It is definitely a ripoff. The new ingredients can easily be replicated if you so desired.

% daily value
Vitamin B 6 (pyridoxine HCL)         4.4 mg         247%
Magnesium (magnesium oxide)  16.88 mg              4%
Zinc (zinc oxide)  15 mg                                  100%
Testofen (fenugreek extract)         300 mg    

56yo, Pre  T level 239

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:54:28 pm »
wow i have come across many zma formulations that include vitamin b6 and fenugreek, and they are much cheaper than this for the same ingredients

spiderman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:57:01 pm »
Take ZMA tabs on their own at night to assist your nightime T healing cycle...they work and make you sleep like a baby ....

I have also tried Testofen for a month and felt it had T boosting qualities..aggression increased and nightime action was more evident...